Monday, February 9, 2009

José Luis "Chavito" Marrero 1928-2009


Jose Luis "Chavito" Marrero, a versatile Puerto Rican character actor who appeared for decades in local movies and television and onstage, has died. He was 82.

Actress and director Sonia Valentin says Marrero died of complications from pulmonary fibrosis early Sunday morning at Pavia hospital in Santurce.

Marrero appeared in films including "My Little Angel" and "My Lucky Day" in the late 1990s, and was a well-known TV pitchman.

Most recently he was cast in "Lovesickness," a 2007 Puerto Rican film starring Luis Guzman.

He is survived by his wife, actress Mercedes Sicardo, two daughters and a son. Funeral arrangements are pending.

I knew "Chavito" from my time working at Channel 40 in San Juan. Great person and a great actor.

I will miss him greatly.

No comments: