Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Rosita Rodríguez 1947-2009


An almost forgotten Puertorrican dancer and comedian, Rosita Rodríguez, fondly known as "Alfilerito" to fans, died Saturday on her Park Garden home she shared with her 90 year old mother, brother and her caretaker. She was 62.

Rodriguez was born in Caguas, Puerto Rico and at the age of six, she moved to New York, where she attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. She came back to the island where she gained fame with the song "Que Suerte" in 1967.

She made her movie debut in "La Venganza de Gabino Barrera" with Chucho Avellanet and Miguel Angel Alvarez.

During the 70's and 80's she was a staple in tv's "El show de las 12", "Tribunal del Honor", "La pensión de Doña Tere" and "Fantástico".

In her last years of her life, she was forgotten by the fans and artists, and suffered from reumatoid artrhitis, which made it impossible for her to walk.

She will be buried today in Caguas, at Boriquen Memorial Cemetery.

May she rest in peace!

Here's a video of her during the 80's in "El Show de las 12"

3 comments:

AGNES ARAUJO said...

Rosita had a very strong voice and she was a versatile artist. I liked very much her song "Alfilerito, Alfilerito, es lo que yo siento cuando pienso en ti....I have the LP CANDELA and I wonder if Alfilerito was a 45 record because it does not figure in Candela LP. MAY SHE REST IN PEACE and her mother, who took care of her always, may she have the peace of mind she deserves.

therealqueen said...

I am just shocked!I worked with her as her assistant for a couple of years (in the late 80's)by that time she was active in Channel2 in el Show de las 12,Kakukomicos,etc.
She was a very talented, energetic and funny lady...RIP Rosita,you'll not be forgotten

Maria Pawlisz said...

I have been looking for her LP that contains the song, "que te quiera, tu me pides que te quiera", to no avail.

I loved and will always love her voice. My mom had her LP ROSITA RODRIGUEZ and I remember as a young girl singing and dancing her beautiful songs (offcourse, I never did them justice).

She will never be forgotten. RIP and know that I will remember you till the day I die.