Monday, July 20, 2009

40 years ago today, Humans walked on the Moon!

My memories of this day are still very fresh! I was 7 years old, and I loved the space program. I watched all the Apollo flights while I was a child. I was very knowledgable seven year old...in other words, a pain in the ass!

I was very excited to see the climax of all the space travel done years before. I was going to see a man walking on another planet. Something I have taken for granted in Science Fiction, in movies like 2001 and in TV shows like "Star Trek" (still my favorite), and "Lost In Space", was becoming a reality.
I figured by the time the year 2000 came around, by the time I was 39 years old, I was going to walk and work on the moon!

But first, I had to clean up my room! That was the condition my mom put up for me to see the lunar landing.

I went to my room and began cleaning up, correctly, almost methodically.
And did it in record time. No toys were left on the floor, all of then were in a box. My comics were neatly stacked in the closet. Even the bed was made.

My mom and dad were impressed. Such was the compelling power of the lunar landing.

I spent that afternoon and evening of the 20th of July in the year 1969, glued, like my parents, to the TV set, watching history in the making.

I was in heaven. I saw Armstrong and Aldrin do something that a decade earlier was deemed to be impossible.

A man walked on the moon.

40 years ago today.

And 40 years later?

No moon base, no flights to outer space for civilians.

Just lame politicians, stupid reality shows and no imagination.

the 21st Century just sucks!

Here's to the pioneers, the risk takers and the dauntless! In this world of mediocrity and conformity, they are a sight to see, and behold!

To Neil Armstrong, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin and Michael Collins. You are inmortal. You will always be remembered.




No comments: