Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Man tries to fix air matress, blows up his apartment instead!

The weirdness parade continues, this time from our good friends...the Germans!

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German who tried to fix his leaky air mattress blew up his apartment instead, the fire brigade in the western city of Duesseldorf said Wednesday.

The 45-year-old man used tire repair solvent to plug a hole in his airbed and left it overnight.

But it blew up when he went to inflate it the next day. "A spark from the electric air pump ignited it," a fire brigade spokesman said.

The blast pushed his living room wall into the building's stairwell and caused extensive damage to walls, windows and furniture.

Fire fighters evacuated the 12-apartment building and a neighboring housing block while they checked for structural damage.

The man suffered burns on his arms, while a three-year-old girl suffered first degree burns.

What was the solvent made of? Nitroglycerine?


Sings-With-Spirits said...

"What was the solvent made of? Nitroglycerine?"

Possibly. Glycerin is the main ingredient in most tire repair solvents, mixed with multiple "proprietary" fillers.

Combine that with stressing the thing by possibly overfilling it and...


Aeeryn said...

Nein nein, mein freunds! It vas made of vithe asparragus, ya know, the kind that goes from solid to gas! Ja Ja! Long live mein aspas!